Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Job Interview

I am a Mechanical Designer. Right now I am working for a company whose products everybody is familiar with. They may not know it, but they probably use some of the products I design, two or three times a month. The company I work for makes thermo-formed plastic products and pan-formed foil products.

One might think that a company whose products sell as well as theirs do, they would pay a bit more to the employees who make them their money. Especially the one who designs the products they sell, and the tools used to make them. Unfortunately, they are more concerned with the bottom line. They pay just over minimum wage to the production workers, just over that for the ones who maintain the equipment, and not much more than that to the ones who supervise them all. Above that there are employees like myself who are basically autonomous and require little or no supervision nor instruction, yet make enough in forty hours to barely put food on the table for a family of six, pay a bill or two--usually past due, and pay for gas to get back and forth to work and nowhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do for a living, I am just not to enamoured with who I work for, anymore.

Tomorrow I have a job interview with a different company. Their ad proclaims "more than competitive wages and benefits", "incentive to advance", and "reimbursement to further education"! The work also closer to what I ultimately hope to be doing.

Anyway, tomorrow I will hopefully have a new job I can not only be proud of, but also be able to enjoy life outside of work a bit more.

More later on that!

No comments: